Holistic Oils: Massage & Aroma Therapy
I’m so excited about the topic of discussion today.
It’s about MASSAGES!
If you know me, then you know I love massages and I love any and everything that promotes relaxation.
What is exactly is a massage though?
A massage is the rubbing and kneading of muscles and joints of the body with hands, especially to relieve tension or pain.
If you need to relieve tension or pain, I seriously recommend a massage. These days massage has transformed into a very diverse practice that may include the use of stones, oils and many special techniques to help enhance your overall wellbeing.
Benefits of Massage:
· Increased energy
· Healthier skin and joints
· Promotes relaxation
· Relieves stress pain and anxiety
· Promotes blood and lymphatic circulation
· Removes toxins
· Promotes sleep
· Increases mental alertness
· Prevents injury
· Stimulates internal organs
· Decreases inflammation
· Lowers blood pressure
Most Popular Types of Massage Offered at Spas
· Swedish massage is the most gentle and basic massage. It is recommended if you’d like to try a massage for the first time. It consists of long, gentle strokes.
· Deep tissue massage (my favorite) is great for chronic pain, injuries and stiffness. Deep tissue massage includes slower strokes and periods of holding pressure to different areas of the body to promote release of knots and connective tissues.
· Hot stone massage use heated stones that are placed over certain areas of the body, which releases tension and balances the energy centers of the body.
· Reflexology is a great massage that focuses on the health of the feet. It is great for those who may have plantar fasciitis or other conditions of the lower body
· Cranial sacral therapy
Should I Use a Massage Therapist or Self Massage?
As an advocate of self-care, I high suggest you invest in your health and wellness and go for a professional massage. Once you’ve had a massage done by an expert, other people’s massages just won’t feel the same lol. You owe it to yourself to experience it at least once, even though once you start, you will not be able to stop. The great thing is knowing that you can even give yourself the ultimate spa experience from the comfort of your own home!
Ayurveda is one of the oldest holistic systems in the world. It dates back thousands of years ago in India. Ayurveda is a life science, which is based on the belief that health and wellness depends on the interconnectedness and the balance of the mind, body, soul and the environment. Daily self-care practices are very important in the Ayurveda world.
Abhyanga is an oil massage practice that you can do yourself. Once you know your dosha or your mind-body type, you will know which types of oils will best balance you in a holistic way. Combined with the practice of dry brushing, you can witness a significant improvement in your skin and your total wellness.
Types of Oils for Massage
Here are a list of oils that are great for your massage. The first group are oils that are high in vitamin E and have anti-inflammatory properties that work great for those who have very dry, sensitive skin. The best thing is that you can buy them at your local grocery or health food store. Go for natural and organic as much as possible.
· Argan oil
· Avocado oil
· Coconut oil
· Sesame seed oil
· Olive oil
· Shea butter
· Jojoba oil
· Flaxseed oil
· Tea tree oil
Best Aromatherapy Oils for Stress and Anxiety
· Lavender oil
Common Aromatherapy Oils for Energy
· Grapefruit oil
· Sweet orange